College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

UTSA Student Fakes His Way into Texas A&M - Alabama

+26 HS
Fatpants's picture
October 15, 2021 at 2:14pm
37 Comments

SI ran a story about Alex Sunderland, a 22 year old UTSA student, who pretended to be a recruit and faked his way into Kyle Field and into the locker room for the big Aggie win over Alabama.

He was hanging out at a tailgate and found, laying on the ground, a VIP pass to a party a local radio station was hosting.

But it said VIP in bold letters, so he thought to himself that he might as well try. Best case: He gets into the game. Worst case: He comes back to the party.

Once he was through the gate, he pretended to be kicker recruit from Mexico (he was born in Texas, raised by Spanish-speaking parents so he's fluent).

‘Ya know what, I’m gonna pretend to be a recruit and I’m gonna get the special treatment I deserve.’
...he comes up to me and says ‘you’re a recruit?’ I saw it in his face. He just did not believe me and then the first thing that came to mind is: I’m gonna pretend I don’t speak English. So I just go, ‘Yes, me kicker, me kicker from Mexico. Me kicker recruit.’ And he goes, ‘Oh yeah, of course; follow me.’

He managed to watch the game, rush the field after the game winning kick, and even made it into the Aggie's locker room where he got a quick pitch from Jimbo Fisher.

I find the first player I see, I tap his shoulder, I say, ‘Yes, me kicker, me recruit. Locker room? Locker room?’ And the guy goes, ‘They told you to go to the locker room?' Just follow me.’

He tapped Fisher on the shoulder, thanked him for the invitation for his “recruiting visit,” and then he got a pitch. "He goes ‘I’m glad you had a great time. We have a great program here. We have a great family and a great community. I hope you really consider it.’ And I’m laughing to myself, this guy is actually recruiting me right now. He has no idea I’m 22.”

Amazing, hilarious story. Worth a read.

The gate-crashing GOAT:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments