College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Week 2: Schedule and Games of Interest Around CFB

+4 HS
BuckeyeGoneNuts's picture
September 6, 2024 at 8:05pm
50 Comments

Here we go with week #2 for CFB.  Not nearly as big of a slate of interesting games, but still some decent ones.  As always, I'm not including the Buckeye game on the list because it's obviously a game we'll watch and no further comment is needed.   Note: these are not game descriptions pulled from the web or AI generated, I'm writing each blurb myself from memory.  If I miss something or make some bonehead mistake, please let me know and I'll fix it.  Then after the game is played I usually put a quick blurb on the actual outcome.

If people don't care or don't want to see these just let me know and I won't pollute the forums further :)

#3 Texas (-7) at #10 TCUN -- (12 PM on FOX)
This is a banger for sure, by far the premiere game of week 2.  Texas was efficient in dismantling Colorado St 52-0 last week, and the cheaters struggled a bit against Fresno State before putting it out of reach late in the 4th on a long pick 6 by Will Johnson.  Texas' O line is not particularly convincing and their running game is not up to speed yet, but they do have Quinn Ewers at the helm and a lot of speed / talent at the WR spot. The cheaters' strength lies in their D line and secondary, but their offense has huge question marks other than at TE -- nothing we saw in week 1 answered those questions.  The game is probably going to hinge on whether the Texas offense can move the ball effectively against the cheaters.   If they can, it will be a long day for the cheaterines.  If not, I think scUM celebrates a big win at home.
Edit: it was glorious. Texas smacked the cheaters down in their own house.

#24 Georgia Tech (-3) at The Fighting McCords (Syracuse) (12 PM on ACC Network)
Ga Tech gained some cred when they manhandled FSU in the trenches in week 0, but with FSU getting smacked by BC in week 1 that victory seems a bit less impressive.  GT followed it up with a pretty easy win over Georgia State and is now ranked for the first time in years.  Syracuse started off a bit sluggish but McCord had a very good game (350+ yards passing, 4 TD's, 70% completion) in week 1.  McCord might not have been good enough to lead Day's OSU offense, but he's light years ahead of anything GA Tech would normally face with Syracuse.   I'm not sure if I buy into the GT hype enough to give 3 points to anyone, I'm taking the 'Cuse at home plus the points.
Edit:  Good call on taking the 'cuse plus the points at home, they pull out the win. McCord looked fantastic again.

Iowa State at #21 Iowa (-2) -- (3:30 PM on CBS)
Iowa looked like .... Iowa in the first half last week.  Great defense, terrible offense and a low scoring game.   Then in the second half they exploded for 34 points (something they hadn't done in 3 years) and even threw TD's to ... gasp.. wide receivers!!  ISU is coming off a win over North Dakota, but has some pretty solid experience at O line and might hold up against the Iowa defense.   As mentioned last week, if Iowa develops any kind of offense this season they're going to be a tough out.  Curiously, the line is only Iowa by 2, which seems low considering they're at home.   With 3 points generally being given for home field advantage, the boys in Vegas are saying ISU is better on neutral field.  I'm not buying it, rivalry or not. 
Edit: there's a reason those big shiny buildings are in Vegas, suckers like me paying for them.  Iowa had a 19-7 lead late in the third and their vaunted D gave it away.

Samford (?) at Florida (?)-- (7 PM on BSPN+)
Certainly not a compelling game or big time clash, but it will be the debut of highly touted DJ Lagway, 5 star frosh QB for Florida.  The Vegas boys have not set a line on this game, which seems curious, but you would expect this to be a great way for Lagway to start is college career (vs Samford).  If the Gators and Lagway don't whip up on Samford in a big way, I think Napier will be gone long before the end of the season, he's basically a zombie (dead man walking) at this point.
Edit: the Lagway era is underway and started with a bang as he threw for 456 (!) yards and 3 TD's. Granted, it was Samford,  but still, that's impressive for the freshman. Still think Florida's in for a terrible season.

#14 Tennessee (-9.5) at #24 North Carolina State -- (7:30 PM on ABC)
This is the only other ranked vs ranked matchup this week outside of the Horns vs Cheaters.  Much like Dylan Raiola, Nico Iamaleava is a much heralded 5* QB that is starting as a true freshman.  Unlike Nebraska, TN has real hopes of getting to the playoffs this year.  Iamaleava was very good in his first outing, and he has a pretty strong cast of talent around him.  NC State on the other hand was .... less than convincing in their week 1 matchup with Western Carolina (I honestly didn't even know Western Carolina had a team).  They struggled early before putting it away late.  Grayson McCall is a very solid QB and they have a good running game, but lots of questions in their secondary and D line.  TN with a freshman at the helm giving 9.5 points on the road against a decent team makes me very nervous, I would not bet anything on this game myself.
Edit: The Vol defense was great in this one, they completely shut down NC State. Iamaleava was very "meh" in this one, but they didn't need him to do much to crush the wolfpack.

Colorado at Nebraska (-6.5) -- (7:30 PM on NBC / Peacock)
This is essentially a game where two giant Hype Trains collide.  Dylan Raiola, highest rated QB last cycle started his career with a bang and looked very comfortable in the pocket.  Nebraska has a solid O line in front of him, but not a ton of talent at the skill positions.  Colorado under Deion has become perpetually overhyped, but they do have some very good skill position players (Sanders, Hunter, Horn, Hayden etc).  Will be interesting to see how the frosh (Raiola) does in his first big full-stadium-big-hype game.  The team that controls the trenches tends to win these kinds of games, but I could see a freshman making some freshman mistakes and getting Nebraska in trouble.  Meanwhile, Colorado's O line sucks, but I think they have enough playmakers on the outside to make up for it.  I'm taking the Buffs plus the points.
Edit: Boy, Colorado's O line and D line really suck.   I think this really shows you can do a lot in the portal, but you can't build a solid O and D line just in the portal.  Looks like Colorado in for a long year, and I doubt Deion is in it for the long haul there either.

Boise State at #7 Oregon (-19) -- (10 PM on the 'Cock)
This one should be a lopsided snoozer, but with all the hype on Oregon this year, their performance against Idaho was less than impressive.  Despite easily winning in all categories in the box score, the final score was only 24-14 and much too close for Oregon comfort.   Was that just early season jitters and a bit of sloppy play that the Ducks will clean up this week, or was that a sign they might have some unanswered questions?  I don't know a whole lot about Idaho's squad, but they put a pretty good beating on the Georgia Southern Eagles in week 1.  This week should go a long way in telling us just how good Oregon is going to be this year.   I'm taking Oregon minus the points.
Edit:  Again, shiny buildings in Vegas for a reason.  Oregon looked very iffy, their defense was ... not good in this one.  So far in two games they've looked decidedly unimpressive, but lucky for them they are still 2-0 and have time to right the ship.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 50 Comments