College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Off-Week Conversations - Should CFB Adapt the NFL's Replay Rules

+5 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
September 11, 2024 at 10:59am
17 Comments

College rules - Every play is reviewed in real time and can be buzzed in to the officials on the field. Though I'm starting to wonder if these dude's nap during the games. Judkins had a first down eerily similar to a first down by Xavier Johnson during the UM game. Both were called short, and obvious 1st downs on the replay. Neither were buzzed in...

NFL rules - Every touchdown and play inside 2 minutes in each half are reviewed and can be buzzed into officials. Outside of that, reviews are only initiated via 2 challenges that are given to each HC (can get an extra if 1st two are successful)

I used to be in the college rules camp, as I liked the fact that every play could be reviewed and the correct call made. But with these games pushing 4 hours, I now would like college to implement the NFL's rules. Leave it up to the coaches to decide whether a borderline 6 yard completion, with 13:53 left in the 1st quarter, is worth a challenge. 

I also think this could put some pressure on the officials to get better. I think they can have the mindset that replay can save their you know what. But in some cases, such as the NIU vs. Notre Dame game, the replay can't always get a good enough angle to overturn a call.

I also think that programs don't dedicate enough time to make sure that they look at each play, since the know the officials "should" be doing it for them. Someone should have buzzed down to Day and told him to challenge those 2 calls mentioned earlier, but again, I wonder how much emphasis college programs put on that facet of the game, since they "technically" shouldn't have to be doing it. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments