College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Week 3: Schedule and Games of Interest Around CFB

+25 HS
BuckeyeGoneNuts's picture
September 12, 2024 at 8:14am
64 Comments

Here we go with week #3 for CFB.  After a grueling 2 weeks of games against Akron and Western Michigan, the Buckeyes get a much needed rest and have a bye week, aka improvement week. /s

With AZ vs KSU on Friday night, Saturday brings a very light slate of decent / interesting games.  Week 4, 5 and 6 should be more interesting.  Great week to get stuff done around the house/yard/work.

Note: these are not game descriptions pulled from the web or AI generated, I'm writing each blurb myself from memory.  If I miss something or make some bonehead mistake, please let me know and I'll fix it.  Then after the game is played I usually put a quick blurb on the actual outcome.

If people don't care or don't want to see these just let me know and I won't pollute the forums further :)

#20 Arizona at #14 Kansas State -- (8 PM on FOX, Friday the 13th)
This is an unusual Friday night ranked vs ranked game.   Wildcats vs Wildcats.  Also a weird note that though they are both in the same conference, it's not considered a conference game because it was set up contractually while AZ was in the PAC-12.  So a non-conference game between two conference teams.  Both Zona and K state are 2-0 this season, both of them started hot out of the gate in week 1, but both of them struggled in week 2.  K State was down 20-10 at halftime vs vaunted Tulane, but managed to come back and win.  Arizona struggled to beat Northern Arizona (I honestly don't even know what their team name is!) in week two, and their offense was anything but explosive going 0-10 on third down conversions.   Their defense is putrid this season (at least so far).  For K-state, much heralded Avery Johnson has been solidly "meh" so far.  Not bad, but not great against so-so competition.  This game might set the tone for the Big 12 race this year, these two teams will have a much better idea of where they stand after this.  Should be a good game.
Outcome: Looked like a shootout early, but K-State clamped down on AZ and ended up with a comfortable 31-7 win.  Johnson is a good QB for K-State who can run and pass. McMillan for AZ is an outstanding receiver on a so-so team.

#4 'Bama (-16) at Wisconsin -- (12 PM on FOX)
On paper this is not an interesting game.  Bama is a big favorite and looks to smack around Whisky.   However it's unusual for Bama to play a game at Wisconsin (I can't remember the lat time they played at Camp Randall, maybe never?), and will be interesting to see which Badger and Bama teams show up.  Bama has looked hot and cold this season.  At times they look the old Saban Death Star, and other times they look very beatable.  We expected there to be growing pains at Wisconsin under Fick, but they've struggled so far this year in two games against Western Michigan and South Dakota (still won, but it wasn't pretty).  If they don't bring their "A" game they're going to get crushed by the Tide.  This is a chance for Fick to get back on the map, but if I had to put money on it I'd take the Tide -16 on the road.   Hopefully the Badgers prove me wrong.
Outcome: Losing their starting QB was the nail in the coffin.  Was going to be a tough ask even with him, but without him they were toast.  They also shot themselves in the foot with the RB's fumbling. Good call on taking the Tide - 16.

#16 LSU (-7) at South Carolina -- (12 PM on ABC/BSPN)
LSU started their season with the usual Kelly traditional game 1 loss, and then looked decidedly "meh" against ... Nicholls State??  (as with Northern Arizona, I honestly could not tell you the team name for Nicholls State).  They lost stating d-lineman Guillory for the season, and perhaps more importantly lost starting RB Emery for the season from an injury in practice.  LSU is *very* thin at RB this year.   South Carolina looked very good against a terrible Kentucky team, and heavily-recruited-by-the-Buckeyes DL Dylan Stewart exploded out of the gate (already has like 3 sacks).  It's the SEC season opener for LSU and it should be a pretty close one.   Don't know who to root for here (pretty much don't care about either), but an interesting game if you're looking for something to watch.
Outcome: Very entertaining game for sure, down to the wire and there were plenty of times during the game when it looked like LSU had it in the bag or USC had it in the bag.  Important win for LSU, big momentum-crushing loss for South Carolina at home.

#25 Boston College at #6 Mizzou (-16) (12:45 on SEC Network)
I have the SEC network through my IPTV package, but not many people here it the midwest are going to be able to see it.  Might still be an interesting game.   For BC, it looks like they could follow the GA Tech blueprint:  beat an overrated FSU team, briefly climb into the ranked teams, then get beat and drop back out into obscurity again.  Mizzou is not expected to have much trouble here (as evidenced by the 16 point spread), but BC has a sneaky good run game this year and while their QB Castellanos is not a good passer, he is a threat to run the ball to keep drives going (he did it well against FSU).  They'll try to control the clock a bit to keep Cook and Burden off the field for the Tigers.   Mizzou under Drinkwitz has gotten better each year, is this the year they break through?  Their defense is one of the best in the country this year so far (and us Buckeye fans are *very* familiar with it from the last bowl game), and their offense is explosive with an excellent WR / QB combo in Burden III and Cook.  I'll take Mizzou and give the points.
Outcome: BC had a good game plan and gave Mizzou all they could handle.  Mizzou escapes in a close one, but BC played better than I thought they would. Bad call on taking Mizzou and giving the points!

#9 Oregon (-16) at Oregon State (3:30 PM on Fox)
I mentioned last week how Oregon looked pretty lousy against Idaho in week 1 (dropped three spots in the rankings) and looked to shake off the rust and bounce back in week 2.  Well, they didn't.  They looked very iffy again in week 2 against Boise State in a pretty entertaining game, needing an overtime field goal to survive against Boise State. Their defense mostly had no answers for the BSU running game, their d-line looked sluggish and got moved off the ball consistently. Gabriel and the offense looked good in the second half, but were not spectacular either.  They were good enough to win the game, but is this a real pattern from Oregon?  There's no doubt they have proven talent on the team, but so far I haven't seen anything from them to support the lofty expectations (including me, I thought they were going to be very good).  The good news for the Ducks is that iffy or not, they are 2-0 and have a chance to "get right" on Saturday. 
Outcome: The Ducks didn't have any trouble in this one, their offense looked very good, but I'm still not sold on their O line or D line being good enough to hang with the big boys just yet. 

#18 ND (-10) at Purdon't (3:30 PM on CBS)
The Domers managed to be a part of the biggest upset since the cheaters lost at home to App State back in 2007 (what a glorious day that was!!).  I didn't think Freeman's seat was going to get hot yet this year, definitely not after going on the road to beat T A&M, but then they drop an inexplicable game at home against the...huskies??  ND offense was terrible, and their defense several times looked like they were stuck in mud watching the Huskies run down the field.   Terrible look overall.   Before the NIU game I would have said this game is a yawner and ND will win by 35, but who knows at this point what ND team you're going to get.   Riley at QB has been a disappointment, and ND knows their margin of error is now gone.   With no conference title game, they know they might have to win out or risk getting left out of the playoffs.  Purdue is a bit of an unknown this year, having only played one game this year so far (a blowout win over Indiana State).  Expectations for Purdue are low, but with ND being unpredictable who knows. 
Outcome: ND trounced them, Purdue looked terrible and ND took NIU frustration out on them.  It was ugly from the get-go.

West Virginia (-5.5) at Pitt (3:30 PM on BSPN2)
This one always seem to have a bit of a "back yard brawl" feel to it, living up to the game name.  Neither team is great, but the games are entertaining. WVU put up a good fight against PSU in week one, and then won handily in week 2.  Pitt is 2-0, beating Kent State in week 1 and then winning an exciting one at Nippert over the Bearcats.  The Pitt QB (Holstein) is a real gunslinger - for good or for bad.  He throws the ball around and will throw some bad picks, but will also rack up the yardage when not under a lot of pressure. I think Pitt getting 5 points at home is attractive, but just haven't seen enough of both teams to have an informed opinion. 
Outcome: Entertaining game, as expected, with lead changes and plenty of missed opportunities on both sides.   Pitt pulls it out in the end, the 'ears fans are in for a rough season.

Any other matchups that might be interesting?  Discuss!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 64 Comments