College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Opinion: They Need to Get Rid of Targeting (or at Least the Ejection/suspension Punishment Portion of It).

+10 HS
Dstacify's picture
September 23, 2024 at 5:30pm
36 Comments

Don't get me wrong, I understand the player safety intention behind it (and I'm not disputing that what Curry did on Saturday wasn't targeting, that was textbook targeting). The gripe I have with the rule is it's been around forever and yet officials who are supposed to be educated on what it is STILL do not know how to call it properly in games (and it's led to kids unjustly getting thrown out of games way too often). All the logic I see is if helmet happens to be involved in the hit in any way a targeting ejection might be in order. Now we're seeing history repeat itself in the NFL with the new hip drop tackle rule (which no officials are actually calling penalties for that right now because they don't know how to read what it actually is on the field despite the fact that guys like Joe Mixon have already been injured by hip drop tackles this year). The judgment call aspect to targeting penalties has completely worn out its welcome at this point. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments