College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Project Rudy / Super Conference Meetings This Week

0 HS
BuckeyeFanInBoulder's picture
October 9, 2024 at 1:59am
0 Comments

This Yahoo Sports article describes former Disney execs describing consolidating media rights and multi-billion dollar contracts.

Wednesday and Thursday of this week the SEC and B1G are meeting to discuss how they're going to further ruin iterate on the landscape of beloved college football yet again. 4 conferences, expanded postseason, and oh yes, private equity and mega media contracts. The same predictable crap.

Thoughts?

I'll say this: this season has been very interesting so far, and the "on field product" is quite good / entertaining. However, as many pundits have said, the playoff situation doesn't help the little guy. Amateur athletics is a bygone term. NIL and the playoff updates make it all the more likely that power consolidates up, not down.

I would be much more in favor of relegation than a set 70 team block neatly divided into 4 conferences, which ironically, would likely not include, say, Vanderbilt. If we do get that, maybe, oddly enough, we do something hipster like re-introduce a Pacific conference... Maybe I'm still a dinosaur, but I really hate the idea of pouring even more money into this, and teams of (ostensibly) student athletes beholden to the wishes of private equity firms more interested in ad revenue than in stadium experience, athlete safety, the sanctity of the game, etc.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.