Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Impact of Harbaugh’s Absence

+4 HS
OnPoint's picture
November 22, 2023 at 11:59am
40 Comments

I would like to hear from other 11-Warriors about their opinions on the impact of Harbaugh's absence on the game.

My initial reaction was that it would have no significant impact as Harbaugh is not the playcaller. However, I now believe it might have a considerable impact. Here are a few points to consider:

1. First, here's an excerpt from McCarthy's interview:

“Who knows what coach (Sherrone) Moore wants and expects out of me,” McCarthy said, asked if expected to be part of the running game. “I would just predict that we’re going to do anything and everything to win this football game.”

There’s no obvious explanation for this, but McCarthy’s numbers haven’t been as good in games with Moore as the acting head coach. It could be health, the particular matchup, the absence of Jim Harbaugh or all of the above.

More than once, McCarthy talked about figuring out what Moore expects of him. That might have been a verbal tic, but it also could reflect a subtle difference without Harbaugh, whose relationship with McCarthy is deeply ingrained.

(The key is) just getting on the same page with coach Moore, making sure there’s no confusion throughout the week with the game plan and what he expects of me, and going out there doing the best I can every single play,” McCarthy said.

It’s a bit unusual that McCarthy is talking about “confusion” because Moore has been the playcaller all year. Why is there a need for McCarthy to sync up with the OC now? Is that because without Stalions both QB and OC are lost and don’t trust each other or was Harbaugh playing a more active role in the playcalling process?

2. An often overlooked aspect is that Moore lacks extensive experience as a playcaller. He was the co-OC in 2021, but Gattis called the plays. He also shared co-OC duties with Weiss, and they reportedly called plays together. Kirk Campbell, Michigan’s QB coach, is relatively inexperienced in coaching. If there's one area Harbaugh is well-versed in, it's the quarterback position.

3. Urban Meyer offered insights on a head coach's role during a game. Meyer thinks that even if not directly calling plays, a head coach is still actively involved in decision-making, including whether to go for it on 4th down or take a deep shot. He also mentioned that juggling roles as both OC and HC can be overwhelming for one person.

4. McCarthy's performance with Moore as headcoach has been poor. All four of McCarthy's interceptions occurred in games where Harbaugh was absent. It is possible to attribute this to Stalions' absence, but Michigan’s other units have performed (relatively) well after Stalions' suspension. The significant decline in McCarthy's performance might be more closely related to Moore's inability to make proper calls and adjustments without Harbaugh.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments