Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What We Mean by "Georgia Ryan Day"

+6 HS
AVBuckeye's picture
November 24, 2023 at 4:38pm
35 Comments

I have heard and read a lot of people say we need "Georgia Ryan Day" tomorrow. And I absolutely agree with that.

This year's Michigan team is the best team we will have played this year by far, and it is not close. What is of particular concern is that their defensive line might be the absolute best defensive line we have ever played, and I am not one for hyperbole.

They run 11 guys out there. Their three DTs -- Jenkins, Graham, and Grant -- are game wreckers. They have four edge guys that have pressure rates of more than 15% (JTT level for comparison). Their elite DTs make it possible to run stunt after stunt after stunt that gets home. Their linebackers get home on blitzes and they basically never miss tackles. They are ELITE at getting to the quarterback.

This brings me to last year's Georgia game. This is the game plan we need, and I am going to go to sleep tonight praying that Ryan Day knows this. 

Among a lot of highlight plays (obviously), these stick out:

• 0:58: Roll out Stroud to the field side and throw back to Harrison on the boundary
  • 2:29: 3rd and 1 quick slant to Ebuka (got him lined up against a safety)
  • 2:43: 1st and 10 play action roll out to the field, throw back to Harrison on the boundary, motioned Rossi in to block strong side pressure
  • 5:35: 4th and 1 old school Green Bay sweep type play with Stroud keeping (called back on a penalty but still a great call)
  • 6:36: 1st and 10 schemed up Xavier Johnson on a linebacker for a big chunk TD play (UGA had to keep two LBs on the field because our running game was respectable even out of 10 personnel)
  • 7:20: 1st and 10 play action roll out to the field, throw back to Fleming on the boundary
  • 7:33: 2nd and 2 play action to Ebuka out of a bunch set that caused confusion
  • 7:42: 3rd and 2 play action to Ebuka coming underneath the formation, impossible to cover, for a TD (best red zone play in the last three years)
  • 9:03: 1st and 10 play action roll out to the field, throw back to Ebuka on the boundary, again schemed up against a linebacker 
  • 12:37: 3rd and 8 quick slant to Ebuka schemed up against a safety

This is the Ryan Day game plan we need tomorrow. Their defense is too freaking good, especially their front four and their linebackers. Do not kid yourself about the signals stuff, they are one of the best and deepest defensive lines we are ever going to play.

Ohio State needs to:

• Run the ball so they can establish the play action pass
  • Actually go to the PA game at unpredictable times
  • Roll out McCord on the PA game
  • Use TEs creatively in pass pro
  • Get non-Harrison players schemed up in advantageous matchups
  • Get creative in the red zone.

If you want to call it "Georgia Ryan Day" then fine. But hopefully after tomorrow we are calling it "Michigan Ryan Day."

GO BUCKS.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments