Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Unpopular Opinion of Kyle McCord

+19 HS
WinningForLackOfABetterWordIsGood's picture
August 14, 2024 at 2:06am
154 Comments

I think Kyle McCord was a solid if unspectacular QB last year -- the type that many OSU teams have won Big Ten titles with. But that he had the extreme misfortune of following CJ Stroud. ...... CJ Stroud was without a doubt the best thrower of the football OSU has ever seen, even if a lot of fans only realized that after he left and immediately torched the NFL. I think if McCord had a little bit of the Devin Brown bravado, or even Stroud's quiet, simmering leadership (and it appeared KM lacked both last year) he would have survived the criticism, stayed here, and we'd be talking about him leading us to a national championship this year. McCord's "passer efficiency" last year (#12 nationally) was better than Michael Penix and Quinn Ewers. That's national runner-up and #8 overall pick Penix, who threw to 3 WRs drafted in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds in April while protected by 1st and 2nd round picks on the O-Line. ... And CFB playoff QB Ewers who threw to 1st and 2nd round draftees at WR, a 4th round TE, while handing off to 2nd and 5th round RBs.

I hope Kyle McCord finds his footing at Syracuse and has a fantastic season. More importantly, I hope Howard / Brown / Sayin grab the OSU reins in a way that makes McCord just an interesting afterthought. But I hope it's a happy landing.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 154 Comments