Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is Jim Knowles Being Throttled?

-1 HS
MattDaddy's picture
September 23, 2024 at 3:19pm
40 Comments

When Jim Knowles was hired back in 2021 he had a bit of a "mad scientist" reputation.  He ran an aggressive base 4-2-5 scheme. He utilized a stand up "Jack" defender that could line up anywhere and attack any gap, not just the edge.  He would mug the line of scrimmage with multiple defenders only to bluff the blitz.  Other plays he would bring the heat with 6 or 7 guys.  He created confusion at the line of scrimmage and his scheme dictated what the other team was comfortable running.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2021/12/127857/film-study-what-ohio-state-fans-can-expect-from-defense-led-by-jim-knowles

The 2022 season played out.  We were an improved defense no doubt, but we did not have many "Jack" bodies on the roster.  They tried using Jack Sawyer in that role, but at 6'5" 260, he was much too big to do it effectively.  Then there were rumblings that Larry Johnson was not happy taking a DE off the field for a Jack.  From there on out, we have played at least 4 down lineman on every defensive snap.  Essentially, a position coach, albeit a hall-of-fame level position coach, dictated what Knowles as the defensive coordinator could run.  Yet, even without utilizing a Jack, Knowles continued calling a fairly aggressive defense blitzing often.

Fast forward to the end of 2022, the losses to scUM and Georgia and the high profile big plays given up.  These plays seemed to haunt Ryan Day.  Subsequently there was a lot of reporting leading into the 2023 season that Day wanted Knowles to call a more conservative style of defense.  No Jack, less blitzing, not mugging or crowding the LOS as often, etc.  Day got his way and it produced good results.  We were among nation leaders in team defense and scoring defense.  Yet, we did not create as many sacks, tackles for loss, or turnovers as the other great defenses in the country.  Further, there were many drives, most notably against our rival, where our bend but don't break defense couldn't get off the field.  They were not allowing the big play, but the too often found themselves in 3rd and shorts that resulted in conversions.

Now here we are in 2024 with perhaps the best and deepest defensive roster we have ever had. A defense that should truly strike fear in other teams.  Yet, we allow Marshall to run 4-wide and spread us out while we sit in a base 4-2-5 with just 6 defenders in the box, 2 deep safetys and often soft corners.  They obviously wanted to spread us out, throw short quick passes to the perimeter, and get a numbers advantage with their read option game.  Not once did we take this away or take them out of what they wanted to do....until a backup QB entered the game.

I won't go into player performances, this post is meant to discuss overall scheme.  But I can't for the life of me believe this is the defense Jim Knowles wants to call.  Now there is speculation from Austin Ward and perhaps others that Day has not been happy with Larry Johnson's defensive line rotations...particularly on 3rd down.  Day has apparently been forceful for Johnson to take DTs off the field for Caden Curry or other DEs....and I'm glad to hear Day being forceful with Johnson.  My point here is Knowles has no say about the first level of defense.  He is basically relegated to coordinating only the back 7.  Then I wonder if Day is handcuffing him on his level of aggressiveness.  IMO Knowles clearly does not have the carte blanche to call his own game like Chip Kelly appears to have on the other side of the ball.

I don't know if you guys watch all of the coordinator interviews, but I have noticed that Knowles seems worn down by this job.  Frankly, he does not seem as happy or as forthcoming as he was in 2022.  No matter the outcome of this season, I wonder if he stays on for next year....especially if Johnson doesn't retire.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments