Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Are We Giving Will the Credit He Deserves

+9 HS
Buckeye71's picture
October 6, 2024 at 1:48pm
28 Comments

Everybody here loves Will. But when I read comments there seems to always be a suggestion that he is simply a nice QB who happens to be a good fit for us. But are we all really looking at what he's done? To make it clear here's a comparison with CJ and Justin in their last years with us:

Justin FIelds  - Completion % = 70.2, QBR =175.6, TD/Int ratio = 3.7, Y/A = 9.3, Sack = 5, Rushing = 383 (with 5 TDs for the entire season)

CJ Stroud - Completion % = 66.3, QBR = 177.7, TD/Int ratio = 6.8. Y/A = 9.5, Sacks =11, Rushing = 108 (no TDs; over 70 of those in one game against GA)

Will Howard - Completion % = 71.5 QBR = 178.0, TD/Int ratio = 4.0, Y/A = 9.6, Sacks = 1, Rushing = 64 (with 4 TDs already)

On top of all that, subjectively, I think that Howard's decision making in the run game is near flawless, which is one reason our running game is clicking so well this year. Plus, I think he is the only QB we've had in years that makes ball fakes that look real enough to fool defenses (and even sometimes cameramen). That also helps the running game. I fear he might be seen by some as a game manager type QB (which I think is not a bad thing to be called). But look closely at every one of those stats, throw in the intangibles (calmness in the face of pressure, leadership, etc.) and tell me he doesn't rank right up there with the best QBs we've ever had.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments