Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Comparing OSU/Oregon with CFP Data

+6 HS
firethecannon's picture
October 15, 2024 at 9:55am
24 Comments

Like everyone else, I watched the Oregon game and immediately assumed our defense fundamentally wasn't good enough. But I’ll offer a contrarian take: even when we spent 60 minutes shooting ourselves in the foot, both sides of the ball played well enough - on the road in a tough environment - to win a title when you compare against national title games for a sample of elite vs. elite.

First, a few stats:

Team Points Yards Yards Per Play
Average CFP Winner 41.8 502 6.9
Oregon 32 496 7.6
Ohio State 31 467 6.9
Average CFP Loser 21.7 382 5.4

So, both teams, and both sides of the ball, played a little better than your average CFP losing team and a little worse than your average CFP winning team.

Team Points Yards Yards Per Play
OSU Off. (UO Def.) vs. Avg. Winner -10.8 -35 =
OSU Def. (UO Off.) vs. Avg. Winner -9.8 -6 +0.7

People forget that with modern rules and schemes, good offenses tend to put up points and yards on good defenses. There are very few defensive battles at the talent-equated level anymore. 

The takeaway for me is that these are evenly matched teams who played slightly below the standard of a title team (which is unsurprising for week 7), but who both are structurally good enough to win the CFP. It will come down to play-by-play execution, not structural changes, imo.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments