Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Care/Don't Care: Three Things After Nebraska

+4 HS
milhouse4588's picture
October 26, 2024 at 4:06pm
24 Comments

This is going to be quick because I'm 6 beers deep and have a family event to get to in Tampa.

Care: Defense really played well but #1 needs leashed

Our defense actually had a pretty good game. We had an interception and three sacks, and pressured Raiola all game. There was more creativity and Tyleik was an animal all game. And can we mention just how fucking good Downs is in coming up to make plays at the LOS? Surpassing his hype.

Igbinosun has been aggressive his entire career but today he was a liability. He had three PIs in two defensive series' and the third one wasn't even necessary. Calm the hell down. Coaches need to coach him up.

Our DBs played better than against Oregon (against worse receivers), and our DB depth showed today. We will be fine in the secondary if Ransom has to miss extended time.

Clean up some of the middle-of-the-field coverage on broken plays when the mobile QB decides to be mobile and we should be alright.

Don't Care: For Chip's playcalling

I think he had by far his worst game in Scarlet & Gray. Multiple 3rd and shorts with a shotgun snap and a pass. Even if it's successful, it's been proven not to work. We also rushed for like 4+ ypc on QB sneaks...just do that, man.

I wasn't a fan of a lot of the rushing game calls today. I know we were down a lineman (and then two), but we couldn't move the ball at all on the ground. When that's happening and Howard is picking the defense apart, you need to go to the air. They couldn't contain our receivers at all.

Worst game by Chip this season, but hopefully he can fix that if our line can hold up.

Care: Left tackle is a much bigger issue than expected

I knew losing Simmons would be big, but I didn't expect it would cripple our offense. He's been so good this season but the drop off between him and anyone else is astounding. They need to figure this out quick because PSU is going to make Howard's day hell next weekend as things stand.

Zen improved over the game until he got hurt and had some great reps, but he was toasted on far too many plays. If he isn't fully healthy he will be a huge liability at LT next weekend. Don't play him unless he's truly 100%.

Don't Care: Rankings

We looked like shit mostly across the board. I wouldn't be shocked if we move down, and I don't care. Escaping with a win is better than playing well in a loss. We've achieved great things at OSU while escaping with wins in the past...I'm fine with that. But we have serious issues now.

The rankings don't matter to me in the era of expanded playoffs. Win the rest and you have a bye, win all but one and you're very likely in the postseason anyways.

Just get us there.

Care: Officiating

Yes this is dedicated to the targeting call. But if anyone can provide video evidence of where that Reese's tackle met any of the criteria for targeting I would love to see it. As far as I could see, via slo-mo, he didn't launch, didn't lower his head, made zero forcible contact, and hit the chest of the receiver. It was bullshit and that call is one I expect the Big Ten to say they got incorrect.

Which points to a larger issue of where the officials are absolute shit lately. Beyond that call the OPI against Nebraska was wrong as well, as was Nebarska's missed conversion. The refs just sucked today and I'm not sure how they fix it. But they need to and I hope folks start holding them accountable.

Don't Care: Nothing else.

This was the worst-feeling win in awhile and I'm tired of being annoyed by it. I'm moving on and happy we hare 6-1. Let's move on to next week and hope our O-line is able to field five guys and our defense decides to play football.

Best thing about 6-1 is the chance to go to 7-1.

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments