Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Opposing Defenses May Attack the TOSU Offense in 2024

+5 HS
zhamilton05's picture
August 12, 2024 at 10:49am
88 Comments

I think this Buckeye defense will be airtight, maybe even legendary. And this offense should be very good, but here's what opposing defensive coordinators are likely thinking:

1.  The running backs are both super dangerous.
  2.  Egbuka is a known threat, but does most of his damage within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.
  3.  The other WR's are promising but young.
  4.  Will Howard's strength is delivering the ball on short-to-intermediate routes, and struggles with the deep ball.
  5.  The O-line is not elite, and particularly struggled on passing downs last year.

Add that all up and you may have a recipe for frustrating the tOSU offense in 2024: pack the box and force Howard to beat you over the top. Can the receivers get open deep? Can the offensive line give Howard time on those late-developing routes?

If you remember the 2016-2017 Buckeyes, those teams often were facing defenses that flowed downhill and weren't worried about J.T. throwing bombs. It was a slog against the upper-tier defenses; the passing game cratered at the tail end of both 2016 and 2017.

I'm no prophet but can see this being maybe the biggest Achilles' heel of the 2024 Ohio State team. Can someone convince me that I'm wrong here? Chip Kelly and Ryan Day undoubtedly have anticipated this tactic and will make adjustments. Is it enough to just trust them?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 88 Comments