Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Golf This Week: THE PLAYERS Championship - First Round Update/Open Thread Part 1

+4 HS
BurningRiverBuckeye's picture
March 11, 2021 at 8:23pm
10 Comments

The PGA Tour rolled into Ponte Vedra Beach, FL this weekend for THE PLAYERS Championship at TPC Sawgrass. What a beautiful course. I don't know about you but as I get older my passion and interest in golf continues to grow. It's like age and golf appreciation are positively correlated. I guess that is probably true for a lot of things, however. 

The first round concluded this evening with Sergio Garcia atop the leaderboard after firing an impressive opening round 65 (-7). A great round by the Spaniard considering the course had its way with most of the field. There were 33 balls hit into the water on the 17th during the opening round (suspended due to darkness). This 17th hole: 

Two of the most notable blunders were Ben An (hit 4 into the water) and Kevin Na (hit 3 into the water). Ben An recorded an 11 while Kevin Na recorded a quintuple bogey (8). Kevin Na would later withdraw from the tournament. 

There are too many players to post the whole leaderboard so I will do the top 20. I'm rooting hard for Jordan Spieth (-2) and Jason Kokrak (-2). Full Leaderboard HERE:

POS PLAYER TO PAR
1 Sergio Garcia -7 
2 Brian Harman -5
T3 Matthew Fitzpatrick -4 
T3 Corey Conners -4
T3 Shane Lowry -4 
T6 Lee Westwood -3
T6 Tom Hoge -3 
T6 Denny McCarthy -3 
T6 Bryson DeChambeau -3 
T6 Rory Sabbatini -3 
T6 Will Zalatoris -3
T12 Gary Woodland -2 
T12 Keegan Bradley -2 
T12 Nick Taylor -2
T12 Adam Long -2 
T12 Christiaan Bezuidenhout -2 
T12 Jordan Spieth -2 
T12 Patrick Reed -2 
T12 Ryan Palmer -2 
T12 Steve Stricker -2 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments