Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

For Buckeye Fans Visiting Eugene

+29 HS
Eugene Buckeye's picture
October 9, 2024 at 11:32am
54 Comments

I wrote this earlier but I wanted to update it a bit--

As a transplanted Ohioan and Buckeye fan who has lived in Eugene for 20 years, feel free to ask me for sightseeing or restaurants or brewpubs recommendations. Or even directions. There's a lot to do in Eugene and the Willamette Valley.

If you're staying downtown, I recommend the 5th Street Market area and the Gordon Hotel with its open air galleria. (They're right next to each other.) It's a much more tourist-friendly spot than Broadway/Park Blocks area unless the (daytime) Saturday Market is going on.

If you want a cool, unique experience, call up the Gordon and try to reserve a spot in their 'speakeasy.' It's a small, secret bar hidden very well in the lobby. You can't find it or get in without knowing the code, which they change every day. You only get the code if you have a reservation. It's fun but space is very limited. It's really fun.

Oakshire is my favorite brewpub in Eugene with 4-5 food trucks parked outside. Great Beer. Try a flight if you can't make up your mind.

Just down the street from it is the Heritage Distillery Tasting Room. They make great whiskeys and bourbons. (This place is on the edge of what is known as 'The Whiteaker Neighborhood 9pronounced whit-a-cur). There is another tasting room in the galleria mentioned above.)

There's a super cool restaurant in the Whiteaker which is a block or two from Heritage and Oakshire. Izakaya Meiji which is a Japanese small plate (tapas-like) restaurant and whiskey bar. The wife and I like to go there for our anniversary. The 'Whit' is a slightly sketchy bohemian neighborhood but not too bad. Some panhandlers but not aggressive, really. You might see some drunk/high people stumbling around. The crime there is usually overnight car break-ins. It's fine. Lots to see and do there. If you're into vintage pinball and local beer, try Blair Alley.

Northbank is also really nice and is close (walkable) to the Valley River Center where some of you might be catching the bus (or staying at the Valley River Inn.). it's got a tiki bar vibe and great burgers. It's along the bike path and on the north side of the Willamette River. (And the river rhymes with 'Dammit'-- "It's the Willamette, Dammit." And while I'm on that, a peeve of many Oregonians-- it's pronounced "Or-a-gun" not "Or-a-gone" as my saintly mother from Troy, Ohio insists on calling every single time she comes out here.)

The Saturday Market and Farmers' Market will be happening downtown in the park blocks. That's a great place to people watch and see some great food products. And get yourself a tie-dyed shirt if you're so inclined.

Springfield is just across the river/I-5 from Eugene and in some ways is actually closer to Autzen. It's got a nice little downtown with great food and drinks. I highly recommend PlankTown brewpub-- terrific beer, cocktails, and food with a huge Ken Kesey mural on the outside of the building. Again, try a flight. PlankTown is only a block or two away from the bus station where some of you might be catching the shuttle to and from the game.

Another cool place in Springfield is the Public House which is in an old church. Just around the corner is the Simpsons Springfield mural with the footprints of the actress who voices Lisa Simpson set into concrete in front of it. (In fact, try and track down all the hidden Simpson murals in Springfield. I believe there's a map. There is also a hidden series (usually in nooks and crannies and tops of buildings) of murals depicting vintage Hollywood monsters.) The Simpsons mural is on the side of The Emerald Art Center and Gallery. You can get your picture taken with statues of the Simpsons inside.

If you make it to Florence (on the coast) check out The Beachcomber or Homegrown for beers and food. Both are in 'Old Town' down along the riverfront, along with the best chowder in Oregon, found at Novelli's, which is a little floating shack tied to the public docks. It's crab chowder and they catch the crab themselves. It's delicious. But avoid Mo's-- greasy fried food and just a tourist trap. The Beachcomber's clam chowder (if that's what you're looking for) blows Mo's out of the water. (But why eat clams when you can eat dungeness crab?)

Going the other direction from Eugene/Springfield, heading east into the Cascades-- if you're looking for something truly spectacular, take 126E and follow the McKenzie River. It's jaw-droppingly beautiful. You'll see evidence of the big fires we've had recently which is heartbreaking. Stop at the Leaburg Fish Hatchery (you'll have to drive across a small hydroelectric dam) and look in the display ponds to see 8-9 foot sturgeon swimming around like dinosaurs in shallow water.  Keep going east to Vida and stop in the Vida Cafe for a hamburger. They've got a Monster Burger and a picture of the Incredible Hulk on the wall because Bill Bixby used to live in Vida and ate there frequently and they named the burger after him. Also, good pie. Keep on going up 126 and you'll start to see the 3 Sisters (mountains.) Stop at Belknap Hot Springs. They have a hotel and lodge there, but you can also just pay to use the outdoor pool that's fed and filled by the local hot springs. Water's about 75-80 degrees year round and mineral rich. It feels like a spa. If you continue on up into the Cascades, you will reach the cowboy town of Sisters. (Bend is past this, maybe 20 miles.)

The best part, if it's open-- depending on the weather (ODOT closes the road at the end of October due to high snow) and any forest fire activity-- is highway 242. This starts almost right across from Belknap. It is the old McKenzie Pass. As you drive up, you begin to enter the lava fields. Close to the crest of the pass, it looks like a sci-fi movie set-- black lava rock as far as you can see in all directions. There is a structure built of lava stones by the WPA with open-air windows that are aligned with different mountain peaks so you can tell what you're seeing. On a clear day, you can see as far as Mt. Shasta to the south and Mt. St. Helens to the north. This is one of the most spectacular spots in Oregon, in my opinion. (and an even more awesome beer-drinking spot, if one would wish to do that.) If you have the opportunity and if the road is open, go see it! At this point you can either turn around and coast back down to Eugene/Springfield or continue up 242 just a bit further east and end up in Sisters, which is a fun little town.  

Places I would avoid (as a midwesterner)-- downtown Eugene after midnight (Broadway area and the park blocks). Being alone on the bike paths after dark (late), Alton Baker park late. After the football game, many of you might be walking through Alton Baker or on the bike path and that's perfectly fine because there are hundreds of people with you. I just mean, don't leave your hotel by yourself and walk the bike path at 1am to get some fresh air.

Eugene is a really nice place with super-friendly people. Yeah, it's got some problems-- homeless and drugs and some political people wrapped in a cloud of their own smugness-- but it's pretty safe, actually. Like I said above, the crime is mostly property crime and vandalism. You might get hit up for spare change, but you're not going to get mugged, unless maybe if it's three o'clock in the morning and you're waltzing around like a drunken fool.

But feel free to hit me up in the comments with questions. I'm happy to help.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments