College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

What NIL Should Have Been Versus What It Is

+5 HS
Brah Zhole's picture
December 16, 2021 at 10:45pm
139 Comments

For years I advocated for players receiving payment(s) for the use of their name and likeness, and that a scholarship was not enough for many of them.  I believed if the institution used the student's name then they should be paid a percentage of whatever the school earned from this.  Not necessarily something outrageous, but certainly something considerable, like what an actor may make promoting a product, but likely less because it's local.

What has transpired is something wholly different, that seems unregulated, shadowy, and really bad for collegiate sports in general.  

I don't blame the kids/families - go get it.  The NCAA, colleges, states and courts allowed for this, so sure, go get it.  But it's terrible for the game and the fans, there's no question.

So what does the NIL rule look like to you?  How would you fix it?  Do you think this is good, or bad for the sport?  

I'm interested in peoples' perspectives.

My take has always been the players get something.  The money stays in an interest bearing account, or investment account, for the time they're in school.  They can take 3-5x living wage in cash while in school, but not all of it as this protects them from predators.  The longer they're in school, the more money they stand to make, and the more the account would grow.  When they leave, they can do as they please with the money - it's theirs.

This was my hope.  The reality is very different.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 139 Comments