Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Week's Question: What is Your Favorite Special Teams Play in Ohio State Football History?

George Eisner's picture
September 16, 2024 at 8:00am
35 Comments

Happy Monday, Eleven Warriors!

For the Remember When series last weekend, the 11W higher-ups asked me to do a piece on Mike Nugent's game-winning field goal against Marshall ahead of the Buckeyes' meeting with the Thundering Herd this coming Saturday.

While some folks may have wanted to leave that game in the past entirely, reflecting on one of the most iconic kicks in OSU football history gave me some inspiration for This Week's Question: What is your favorite Ohio State special teams play ever?

Ted Ginn Jr. is my all-time favorite Buckeye football player, so it stands to reason one of his returns would serve as the special teams play at the top of the memories. I have lost count of the amount of times I watched this YouTube video in my adolescence since it went up in May of 2006 while I was finishing sixth grade.

There are so many plays to choose from, but I think my favorite might have to be the 100-yard kick return from the 2005 road game against the 20th ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers. Ginn Jr. faked an end-around and beat the final Minnesota defender not only before reaching the Golden Gophers' 30-yard line, but even before the ABC broadcast could get the score bug back on the screen after returning from a commercial break. The play underscored how Ginn Jr.'s speed often proved too powerful for the other team to keep up with — or even the television production crew.

But what about you? What is your favorite special teams play in Buckeye football lore?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments