Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Observations About the Offense

+5 HS
kiddbuckeye's picture
September 30, 2024 at 11:08am
25 Comments

Myself I have been frustrated with the OSU offense after the 2019 season. We had gaudy stats and were ranked high on a lot of data charts but we appeared vanilla even with generastional talent. Many posts on this site cited topics from poor rushing, inability to get a yard, maybe it was toughness, and over all just seemed off. I know, hard to say, but it progressively got worse in very subtle ways. I had/have my doubts of Coach Day, when he was just the OC we did better but as each year passed it became more clear to me that our game plans were not varied much and it appeared we would just do the same plays each week and for the most part it worked. Many of us would/could call out the plays ahead of time.

This year our offense looks light years better. We are setting up the run with the pass and the pass with the run. We look dynamic, attacking, and we are dictating the tempo not letting the defense dictate what we do or want to do. No longer are we standing and staring and waiting for plays to be called, only to line up, and then change the play. It gave off a very ill-prepared appearance. I know helmet coms may have helped but I feel its more than just the helmet com. This pace gets us into a rhythym we have not seen since JTB was our QB. 

We see the return of quick slants and curls, RB in the passing game and improvement with edge blocking from TE/WRs. We see out passes and routes to put the defense in conflict. The mobile QB has added another dimension to this offense as well. Not a knock on CJ as we will never know if he was not mobile by design or choice. Although, we have seen a mobile CJ in the NFL have some success. 

These results are not against any of the CF giants but it has to start somewhere and although a small sample the addition of Chip Kelly with the keys to offense has been a welcome site. Unlike the BROWNS, whose HC refuses to hand over the keys [another topic for another day], Coach Day was willing to do so and the results are showing on the field. We are seeing diveristy week to week, creativity, and willingness to dig deep just to give other defenses something else to defend, like the wildcat.

As the weeks and games pass I am once again getting excited to see how this offense progresses. Even the play calling has made our offensive line look better. We have a big challenge this weekend. I feel we are no longer predictable which was a point that was brought up as well. GO BUCKS !! 

Mod Edit: Corrected typo in the title.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments