Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2024 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 6

+7 HS
cpfanatik77's picture
October 10, 2024 at 2:48pm
6 Comments

It’s the (other) one we’ve all been waiting for, Dubbers. Oregon week! The Bucks travel to Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR to take on the Ducks and hopefully erase the bad memories of that 2021 game in Columbus. Hopefully, the O-line can continue to maul the defense, because I came away super impressed last week. If Tyleik and the boys continue creating havoc on the defensive side of the ball, I like our chances.

For our first B1G game on the West Coast, I wanted to pay homage to my favorite TV show, which happens to take place on the West Coast in sunny Santa Barbara, CA – Psych. Shawn and Gus combine a love of the 80s, heightened observational skills, and delicious flavors to create one of my favorite crime-fighting duos of all time. And while there is no pineapple in today’s recipe, there is a pyramid of savory goodness. A 4-cheese infused, twice battered delight known as

Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos

There are a couple of ways you can make this recipe. One way involves halving and coring some Yukon gold potatoes and filling them with the cheese mixture, but I found that making them that way led to a lot of cheese leakage during the frying process. Instead, We will use Russet potatoes and make more of a mashed potato ball. They are a little time-consuming, but nothing too outrageous.

Ingredients

• 4 russet potatoes
  • 2-3 Tbsp of chopped butter (small pieces)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of ground pepper 
  • Cajun seasoning (season to taste, but you can definitely apply liberally)
  • 1/2 lb block each of cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, and colby jack cheese
  • 2 c of flour
  • 2 c of plain breadcrumbs
  • Oil for frying and to brush potatoes with
  • Sour cream
  • 1Tbsp ancho chili powder
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 lime

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Put your potatoes on a baking tray, brush with oil, and poke a few holes in them with a fork. Place them in the oven for 45-60 minutes, until the insides are nice and soft.
  3. Remove the potatoes, cut in half, and let sit for 15 minutes of so to release most of the steam.
  4. Scoop out the potato into a bowl. Hand mash the potatoes with a fork (or run through a potato ricer on its finest setting if you have one).
  5. Add the chopped up butter and mix around.
  6. Add 1 egg, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning, and stir into the potatoes by hand.
  7. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so until the mixture has firmed up.
  8. While potatoes are cooling, shred your 4 blocks of cheese and mix them together in a large bowl. Once thoroughly mixed, start to make cheese center by smashing the cheese mixture into a ball shape. Mine ended up being slightly bigger than the width of my thumb.
  9. Heat oil for frying to 350 degrees.
  10. Once potatoes have cooled down, scoop out a spoonful and begin to mold it around the cheese ball. The potato layer in mine ended up being around ¼” thick.
  11. Once you have covered all your cheese balls with the potato layer, fry your potatoes for 6 minutes, turning at the halfway point.
  12.  While the potatoes are in the fryer, fill a bowl with the flour, a bowl with 4 beaten eggs, and a bowl with the bread crumbs.
  13. After pulling potatoes from the fryer, roll them in the flour. Then dip in egg wash and roll in bread crumbs. Repeat the egg wash and bread crumbs and set aside.
  14. Return the breaded potatoes to the fryer for an additional 5-6 minutes, turning at the halfway point again.
  15. Remove from fryer and allow them to cool for a minute. Then serve with ancho sour cream.

Ancho Sour Cream

1. Cook up your bacon slices and crumble or chop when finished.
  2. Add the ancho chili powder, bacon, and some lime juice to the sour cream. Stir up and serve.

Pro tips

• I added some bacon and jalapenos to the potato batter before covering the cheese balls. I would assume that would also work mixing it in the cheese before you ball it up.
  • I used the air fryer and set it at 375 degrees. It worked wonderfully.
  • Leftovers make a great addition to breakfast the next morning.
  • Pregame with some of my favorite Psych episodes: Murder?...Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller, Last Night Gus, An Evening With Mr. Yang, or American Duos.

Previous editions of Tailgate Fare

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments