Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Needs to Change to Make Us Competitive Next Year?

+10 HS
MediBuck's picture
November 25, 2023 at 5:58pm
141 Comments

Today was extremely painful to watch, but I think our strengths and our warts were fully on display. Regrettably, I think OSU takes a step back next year unless some hard decisions are made to take some risks, as many of our superstar players are off to the NFL and we'll be rebuilding in a major way. Here are the four biggest changes I think that Day needs to make to ensure that we have a chance in the new B1G and the new playoff era in 2024:

• We need to make a change at QB. I know that experience means a lot, but our coaches have shown that for the betterment of the program, we have to make the switch for a superior talent when we need to in order to save the program's trajectory. Look at both Justin Zwick and Todd Boeckman--the latter even led us to a national championship, and yet Tress had the guts to go with the more dynamic youngster. Nobody can argue that the swap to Troy Smith or Terrelle Pryor was the wrong one in the long run. McCord has the arm talent to be outstanding, but over three full seasons in the program and 12 games under center as the starter, has yet shown that the mental aspect of the game (sensing pocket pressure, making multiple reads, not throwing ill-advised balls) is slowing down for him. Add that he played this season with arguably the greatest WR talent of the generation in MHJ and future NFL first rounders at WR2, RB, and possible TE, and his shortcomings become much more frustrating. All those guys will be gone next season, and Kyle can't rely on desperation heaves to Harrison on third and long to bail him out anymore. Add in the fact that the OL has been uncharacteristically bad (and its best pieces on the interior, in M. Jones and possibly Jackson are gone to the league shortly), and you can expect the offense to take a step back unless we introduce a third dimension with a more mobile QB. My hope is that Day takes a good look in the mirror and at the incoming talent in his program (Kienholz, Noland) and makes the right (if difficult) decision.

• Parker Fleming needs to go.  I'm so tired of calling for his dismissal every single game. I'm sure he's a really nice guy, and maybe he's a savant in the film room or the practice field, but OSU's ST in real-time game action has been a liability at worst and unreliable at best. The six points we lost by today are covered by the 50 yarder we missed and the 50-yarder that scUM made. Our kickoff return group lost us 6 yards compared to if we'd just taken the fair catch on that final drive. Jame Laurinaitis can split co-ST duties with Perry Eliano. The product couldn't possibly be worse and we'd get Little Animal on both the sidelines and on the recruiting trail.

• We need to hit the transfer portal hard. The offensive line was leaky in the least fortunate moments this season. We need plug-and-play guys to overcome our recruiting misses and lack of development. DL depth will be decimated after Williams and Hall leave. We should look at bringing guys in from outside the program. As McCord is not the answer, if neither of the freshmen are the solution, then we should kick the tires on a transfer. The worst that can happen is that they push the incumbent to play better, the way Tyler Buchner brought out the best in Jalen Milroe at Bama. 

• Stop relying on familiarity in bringing in assistant coaches. I think Day's best coaching staff is still his first one, where he cleaned house with the dead weight and brought guys in based on reputation and experience. Since then, aside from the defensive overall in 2021, he's promoted from within rather than looking nationally for the best and brightest. ST, OL, TE, and QB, all deserve better senior leadership at Ohio State. We have the budget and the name brand to bring in just about any coach in the nation--why is our coaching cupboard stacked with former GAs and analysts who wouldn't be in their roles at our competitor institutions like Georgia and Alabama? In particular, the offensive playcalling has seemed wonky at times this year, and I wonder how much of this is due to Ryan Day having to do it all (i.e., not having an experienced, independent coordinator such as Kevin Wilson in the press box to bounce ideas off of). I'm not advocating that anyone (other than Fleming) lose their jobs in the offseason, but everybody needs to know they're on a short leash unless the Buckeyes are playing to the Ohio State standard.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 141 Comments