Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Much Will the 12 Team Playoff Devalue The Game?

0 HS
Parker Leo Blinsky's picture
November 25, 2023 at 9:45pm
33 Comments

If this game had happened under next year’s format, OSU would have still secured a playoff spot and have a shot a national title with a possible rematch with UM taking place along the way. So while losing today would have still sucked big time, there would have been a considerable silver lining with the opportunities still available to OSU. Which leads me to ask if this year’s game is the last of THE GAME as we know it in terms of the stakes involved?

I can’t help but think that most years the loser of The Game is still going to have a really good shot at the playoffs, so losing it isn’t going be the disastrous season ender that it has been for over a century now. And if the loser of The Game goes on to win a rematch in the playoffs and/or wins the NC anyway, is anyone going to really care that they dropped the regular season matchup?

I know The Game always have meaning and will always be hyped by the media as the BIG ONE, but I really feel that a lot of the stakes that gave this contest such a life or death importance for so many years have vanished forever after today’s result. 

That’s “progress” I guess. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 33 Comments