Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Quarterback Comparisons

+6 HS
PhillyNut's picture
December 2, 2023 at 12:11pm
105 Comments

Much has been discussed and made about how good or bad McCord has been. Keeping in mind that this year was his first year as a starter and putting aside the feelings about losing to tcun for a third time in a row (and the fact that the losing QB was CJ Stroud both times and it has been pretty unanimous that those losses were due to the defense/cheating) some perspective needs to be taken.

Yes, McCord had the all world receiver in Harrison along with some pretty damn good other receivers. But the QBs I am about to mention did not exactly have chopped liver to throw to

McCord finished 13th in passing efficiency in the NCAA for the regular season. Penix who just led Washington to the CFP last night and is widely considered a finalist for the Heisman finished 14th and is now a 4 year starter. Quinn Ewers finishing up his second year as a starter and having as ESPN calls it "an outstanding redshirt sophomore season" finished 16th. On a pass completion basis McCord was further down the list at 26th but look who was only 0.001 ahead of him - Penix.
Everybody raving about Milroe but he sits at 21st 0.004 ahead of McCord. He was 4th in passing efficiency but in one less game he had 3 fewer tds and the same number of interceptions as well as 600 fewer yards.

Yes, I am cherry picking to some degree here but my main point is that we act like McCord was a disaster but his numbers compared very favorably to QBs that most of the media and their fanbases are raving about.

McCord is not Stroud nor is he Fields. But he is definitely not some schlep that deserves to be kicked to the curb. He ultimately saved our butts against ND and PSU. Did not work out but he was putting us in a position to beat tcun. Despite the INT it was more of poor clock management by Day that made that situation happen (along with a complete ole block by Fryar).

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 105 Comments