Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Tragic Story of Billy Collins Jr.

+8 HS
Bucks45's picture
July 6, 2024 at 9:00am
14 Comments

I'm old enough to remember this,but i don't. Just ran across the Billy Collins Jr. story. Very tragic and criminal. There is a documentary about it(Assault in the Ring). Short version of the story is this kid was just 21 and a great up and coming boxer(14-0 at the time) and was matched up with a journeyman(Luis Resto) with a 19-8 record. Resto's trainer took the padding out of his gloves and wrapped his hands in plaster and they beat the living crap out of this kid(who stood there and took it for 10 rounds). He was blinded and would never fight again.......meanwhile Billy's father discovered when shaking Resto's hand after the fight that something was wrong and alerted the ref. Both trainer and Resto were found guilty and banned for life from boxing and also spent time in prison for assault. Billy was so screwed up from the beating that he just sat in his room and drank and at the young age of 22 was killed in a car crash that many speculate was either suicide or his brain was so damaged from the beating that he had no idea what he was doing. He left behind a wife and daughter......very tragic! My question is.....doesn't the ref check gloves before fights? How could he miss this when Billy's father knew right away when he shook his hand?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments