Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

All of Day's Losses Inexplicably "Come Down to One Play"

+2 HS
AVBuckeye's picture
October 13, 2024 at 7:37am
13 Comments

I am not a "Day is on the hot seat" guy, but WOW, I might be getting there. All of his losses are the exact same.

In general, we make catastrophic play after catastrophic play, but we have so much talent that we generally execute and stay in the game. While previous iterations of OSU pulled away in the fourth quarter, our defenses cannot get off the field in the 4Q. Then our offense gets in a perfect position to win the game, and we somehow screw it up.

We all know the bad plays against Clemson in 2019. Nevertheless we had the lead with Clemson are on their own 6. Four plays and 94 yards later they had the lead. We march down the field and Fields throws an inexplicable turnover. Loss. But that loss was from not burying them in the first half.

Georgia was similar. We had a couple monster screwups in the game that let the Dawgs stay in it. Georgia had 210 yards in the fourth quarter, scored 18 points, etc. Our offense had 1st and 10 at their 32 and we didn't gain another yard. Loss. Again, this loss was for not burying them when we had the chance.

Michigan last year was the same. Overcame a pick 6, Day's questionable decisions before half, had the ball going down the field to win the game. Interception. Loss.

Last night might be the hardest to explain. The Judkins fumble, the three false starts on one drive (effectively a turnover), the onside kick, the Howard fumbled snap, all of it. Somehow we nevertheless have the ball 1st and 10 on their 28 with 44 seconds left. We somehow don't even get a kick off. Loss.

The Smith OPI was horse crap, but we had the ball up 28-22 and driving. Go end the game. Then lean on them. That's what Ohio State does.

These losses are all rip your heart out heartbreakers. They all seem to come down to "one play," but they are all a result of lack of game management, lack of conditioning, just top to bottom failures in the program. I am sick of it.

The biggest difference: the other losses ended our season. This one did not. Let's hope this is VT in 2014.

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments