Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Just Some Thoughts About Ohio State Football.

-1 HS
StumpFickell's picture
November 25, 2023 at 9:28pm
25 Comments

Brothers (and sisters). After some reflection I'd like to express that I am grateful to this University. It's my university. Some of my most trying times and most treasured times occurred while I was a student there. This will always be my team. I've watched Buckeye football as long as I could remember. I watched the game in the morning/afternoon. Then stayed up to watch the replay at midnight on WOSU.

I dreamed about playing for the Buckeyes, which never happened. I made my peace with this. But I cherish that I got to play against some future Buckeyes during high school ball. One player I can remember vividly was Dimitrious Stanley. Mostly because his smile shone on the field through his facemask. He bore that smile always even while on campus, on the field, and after. I honor him today because he left too soon, but he also left us with memories and a legacy. I state this because I've noticed the rhetoric, as of late, around the college game and between the two teams who are part of the greatest rivalry in sports get a little out of hand. Chivalry between warriors has diminished. There is a brotherhood among teams but there is also a brotherhood among rivals. This is why I take umbrage with the words spoken by one of the Michigan players this afternoon. They were uncalled for, unsportsmanlike, and a sign of a culture that has lost its way. Also, because they were a shot at the character of one of our players who has exhibited nothing but tough play, grace, and extreme talent. Not only this, but Harrison Jr. also has a look of gentleness, peace, and sensitivity. The image of him looking back at the Shoe after his last home game are an icon of this. His eyes much like that of a child leaving behind some of his youth, his love for the game, and his health were evident. I will miss that look on Saturdays. God bless Marvin. I won't even get into some of the poison being spewed on Twitter. 

Having said this. I love this team. But some other things are evident. Coach Day is not a soft or weak coach. He is one of best coaches in the game today. He loves the game, and he loves his team. He loves the university. I am certain of this. He is not beyond criticism, however. 

This is my opinion:

- Coach Day does not have Big Ten DNA. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes we don't recognize it. And it does not sit well with us. How is this evident? Two of the biggest position coaches we had a need for the last few years, he went looking for coaches in the PAC12 and the BIG12. Again, while both line play and the defense has improved, it's not necessarily the type of game we're used to. And while I'll reiterate this is not a soft team, we do slant on the side of finesse. We yearned for this type of offense, but it will never be the smash mouth we have had for so many years. Take this as you will. 

- Personally, when we relieved Coombs of his duties, my first inclination as a Buckeye guy was to go knocking at Dantonio's door and begged him out of retirement. This may be insane, but if not his services, I would have asked him who to get. Day stuck with what he knows. What he was bred to do and that is to be a Kelly Disciple. Again, not necessarily bad, but it's not going to be what we have known for so long.  

- TTUN has the emotional and psychological edge. This is a game of momentum. Right now, TTUN owns us in this regard. And when I say "us" I mean the coaching staff, the team, and the fanbase. We need to get this back. Don't fall for the traps. Be bigger than them. Don't feed their virulence. Don't sink to their level. They may be in big trouble in a couple of months. 

- We're going to continue to win and contend. But if we're going to get over the top, we need the edge again. This means an element of humility, love, and being grateful for the many blessings of this University. 

Ohio Against the World. Go Bucks! God bless. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments