Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs Marshall

+6 HS
Large Father's picture
September 17, 2024 at 8:43pm
6 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

I've now been to 2.5 Ohio U football games at Peden Stadium.

Last weekend was my first full game at Peden, and my first time as a parent with a student attending OU.  We had a great time.  The atmosphere was celebratory, the stadium was packed, the band danced and it was a perfect day in Athens with my freshman son.

The other 1.5 OU football games are actually 3 half games I attended as a student in the Nineties.  Back then, it was customary to arrive after kickoff, watch the band play at halftime and then go Uptown.  Ohio U football was atrocious.  In my 4 years in Athens, the Bobcats won a total of 4 games.  One season, they won none.  OU typically finished last in the MAC conference, and sometimes last in Div 1 football.      

Sitting in Peden last Saturday, I was thinking about the widening gap in college football.  It will be very difficult for MAC schools to keep pace with B1G schools.  The Big Ten conference has an $8 billion dollar TV deal.  In Athens county, you can't get an over-the-air TV signal.

I'm conflicted.  It was really cool watching MAC conference Northern Illinois take down Notre Dame a couple weeks ago.  I envisioned Ohio U making the 12-team College Football Playoff and taking down Notre Dame or Alabama.  But, those chances are very slim.  

I think I would prefer a separate bracket and crowned champion for the non-power 4 schools.  That would make the MAC regular season exciting knowing that the MAC teams that make the playoff would have a good shot at the championship.  MAC-tion implications would become more interesting.  I could see staying up past my bedtime on a Wednesday night.

After the "improvement week," it's been a while since we last saw Ohio State take the field.  But, my last impressions from the Buckeyes beat down of Western Michigan was - this OSU team is really good. Last time out, the team was starting to get in sync, executing at a higher level, in addition to being extremely experienced and talented.  

This may be one of those seasons where I watch other college football teams and continually find myself asking why they can't pick up the first down or create a gap-sound wall in run defense.  I hope the Buckeyes keep getting stronger and create the standard.  

Touchdowns:  TreVeyon, Quinshon, James Peoples, Emeka, Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Jack Sawyer

OSU 49 Marshall 0

Go Bucks!  Beat Marshall!  Harry Miller and Tyleik Williams for Heisman!

Vast Vater

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments