Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Stress-testing Day's Claim That He's "gone Through Every Play 1,000 Times in My Head"

-4 HS
themostbrian's picture
October 15, 2024 at 9:17am
28 Comments

On 97.1 The Fan's Buckeye Roundtable yesterday, Ryan Day claimed that he had "gone through every play [ed: of the Oregon game] 1,000 times in my head."

For the purposes of this analysis, let's assume that Day's 1,000 distinct instances of analysis for each play started at midnight on Sunday morning and ended at 6:00pm on Monday when the Buckeye Roundtable show began. That gives him ≈42 total hours to accomplish this herculean task.

But we also need to account for Day's sleep across this roughly 2 day period. Absent compelling evidence, I'm not going to assume that Day was productively utilizing sleep time to complete these analyses. Given that Day had just experienced a high-stress, high-profile professional setback let's assume that he only slept 5 hours on Saturday night / Sunday morning and another 5 hours on Sunday night / Monday morning.

This leaves us with 32 total hours of analysis time - that's 1,920 minutes or 115,200 seconds. According to the CBS Sports box score there 133 plays in the game - 68 by Ohio State and 65 by Oregon. Day did not make a distinction between which plays he had "gone through" and, in fact, he made it clear he had thought about "every" play.

133 total plays x 1000 distinct moments of analysis = 133,000 Discrete Analytical Instances (DAI).

You'll already note one of the challenges here. Day had merely 115,200 waking seconds to engage in these 133,000 DAI. Using these assumptions, Day would have completed a single DAI every 0.866 seconds for 32 waking hours. Not likely, I would say.

Let's give the ole ball coach a bit more time. He had just suffered an awful loss and his brain was racing (potentially at a wickedly efficient ≈0.866/DAI rate) so it's reasonable to think he didn't sleep at all on Saturday night / Sunday morning. Perhaps he caught a cat nap later in the day. So let's give him back 5 hours of analysis time from the sleep bucket and theorize that he was operating from only 5 hours of sleep over the previous 2 days when he was interviewed by 97.1 The Fan.

That would give him 37 waking hours - or 133,200 seconds - to complete 133,000 DAI. Okay, now we're cooking with gas. Using these assumptions, Day enjoyed a positively luxurious 1.0015 seconds per DAI! The haters will say he couldn't do it but I'm saying Fact Checked: True!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments