Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Grading the Positions and Coaching

-5 HS
Sheridanclan11's picture
October 26, 2024 at 10:13pm
10 Comments

Today was a rough day and I can confidently say that we have not looked championship-level at all this season. Where are the problems? It seems like they are everywhere but that is likely just recency bias. Below is a grade for each position. I don't rewatch the games or get into the minutia that others do. I am sure some will bash these but I call 'em like I see 'em. 

QB:  Howard has been very good but makes bad throws at times and still hasn't used his legs much. He also loses awareness of his surroundings occasionally. Grade B+

RB:  We have two outstanding backs who, too often, don't get the blocking they need. Grade: B 

WR: We have great WRs but even with this outstanding unit, the passing game sometimes struggles, even against bad teams (likely scheme and OL issues). Grade A-

OL: The last 2 years I have felt the OL would make or break us. It is bending and will likely break us again. The recruiting losses are bad enough but there is no excuse for the kind of effort we continue to see too often again even average teams. Grade D+

DL: Our best DEs disappear in big games. TW is solid in the middle but this group is the 2nd most overrated on the team. We should not need to blitz average teams to get sacks. Grade C+

LBs: I just don't like what I have seen except for some great plays by Simon. This unit gets killed in pass pro. Grade C

Safeties: Downs is the best (defensive) player we have and this is the 2nd best unit we have. A-

CBs:  This group is the most over-rated. I had such high hopes to see lockdown corners. Unfortunately, they get beat consistently and grab and hold on almost every play. We used to be DB U. What happened?  Grade: D

Special Teams: Pretty clear we are below average here, especially placekicking. Grade C-

Head Coach: My opinion is that Day is on the brink. He doesn't really seem happy here and the more he surrounds himself with coaching friends, the worse it gets. Most of his coaching hires the last 4 years are hurting us and his lack of ability to hold folks accountable will prevent us from a winning a championship. His game management is below average IMO. Grade C

Defensive Staff: I have been very vocal that I believe Knowles is the wrong guy for the job. He has laid too many eggs, players don't develop in his system, he doesn't recruit well, and the results in big games are bad. Other than the safeties, the defense has underperformed. Grade: C-

Offensive Staff:  Kelly's playcalling has been pedestrian, IMO. Frye is just awful in every phase. RBs are good but held back by Frye and some by Kelly. We are so blessed to have Hartline here or this offense would be ugly  Grade: B-

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments